ONTARIO PGA ANNOUCES 2011 AWARD NOMINEES
Ontario PGA Announces 2011 Awards Nominees
(Pickering, Ont., October 12, 2011) - The 2011 Ontario PGA Awards Night presented by FlightScope will take place Tuesday October 25, 2011 at Angus Glen Golf Club following the Nike Golf Ontario PGA Fall Scramble presented by FlightScope. Seven categories are up for grabs including Apprentice/Candidate for Membership of the Year, Junior Leader of the Year, Player of the Year, Professional Development, Retailer of the Year, Teacher of the Year presented by FlightScope and last but not least Golf Professional of the Year.
The awards criteria and guidelines have changed this year so that the Ontario PGA nomination process aligns with the PGA of Canada's awards program. The prestige of the evening and the honor it brings to the members that win has not changed.
The Apprentice/Candidate for Membership of the Year Award previously the Assistant of the Year Award is the highest honor the Association can bestow on a working Apprentice/ Candidate for Membership whose total contributions to the game best exemplify the Ontario PGA Apprentice/ Candidate for Membership. This award embraces a wide range of services executed by the club professional. The Junior Golf Leader Award is set to recognize the Professional who is a leader in junior golf and who reflects the ideals of those who work with youth. The Teacher of the Year Award presented by FlightScope is designed to recognize an outstanding teacher and is based on a professional's overall performance in teaching; unusual, innovative and special teaching programs initiated or implemented; articles published; as well as outstanding golfers the professional has instructed. The Retailer of the Year Award which has been renamed from Merchandiser of the Year is designed to recognize those Professionals who have excelled as business persons / retailers in the promotion of golf. The Player of the Year award recognizes an outstanding Player among the ranks of the Ontario PGA membership.
New to the lineup of awards this year is the Professional Development Award which recognizes the Ontario PGA Professional who is the model of life-long learning and continuing professional development. This award is designed to give special recognition to an individual PGA Professional for outstanding and continuing contributions to professional development and continuing education.
The Ontario PGA Golf Professional of the Year Award is one of the highest honors the Association can bestow on a working club professional whose total contributions to the game best exemplify the complete Ontario PGA Professional. This award embraces a wide range of services executed by the club professional.
And the nominees are:
- The Final three nominees for Apprentice / Candidate for Membership are:
- Megan Chapman (The Academy at The Georgian Bay Club)
- Brandon Dyment (Hamilton Golf & C.C.)
- Cameron Thin (St. Catharines Golf & C.C.)
- The final three nominees for Junior Leader of the Year are:
- Jon Blomme (St. Catharines Golf & C.C.)
- Randy McQueen (Roseland Golf & Curling Club)
- Jeff Moore (Northridge Public Golf Course)
- The final two nominees for Player of the Year are:
- Danny King (The Performance Academy at Magna)
- Ken Tarling (Ken Tarling's Golf Academy)
- The final three nominees for the Professional Development Award are:
- Henry Brunton (Henry Brunton Golf)
- Doug Lawrie (Within Range Golf Centre)
- Ian Webb (Credit Valley Golf & C.C.)
- The final two nominees for Retailer of the Year are:
- Ryan Ennis (The National Golf Club)
- Jamie Trenholme (Eagles Nest Golf Club)
- The final three nominees for Teacher of the Year presented by FlightScope are:
- Shawn Clement (Richmond Hill Golf Club)
- Scott Cowx (Hamilton Golf & C.C. Teaching Academy)
- Bradlee Ryall (The Academy at BraeBen)
- The final three nominees for Golf Professional of the Year are:
- Colin Imrie (Weston Golf & C.C.)
- Shawn Morey (BraeBen Golf Course)
- Chris Wehrle (Whistle Bear Golf Club)
In addition to the announcement of the award winners the Ontario PGA - NGCOA Central Ontario Chapter Scholarship winners will also be announced.
The Ontario PGA Awards dinner goes Tuesday October 25, 2011 at Angus Glen Golf Club at 7:00pm. Tickets are available for the dinner until October 17th and can be reserved by calling the Ontario PGA office at 877-908-4653 or by completing the Ticket Reservation Form.