FlightScope Advisory Board member Stephen Aumock has been the Director of Instruction at Gleneagles Country Club in Plano, Texas for 13 years. In 2009, he was awarded the PGA’s highest designation, Master Instructor, which has only been achieved by roughly 100 instructors worldwide. He was also awarded the 2014 Northern Texas PGA Teacher of the Year and 2014 ClubCorp Teacher of the Year. Stephen has taught golf in thirteen countries and in every major championship, helping numerous professionals on the PGA and European Tour. He is also the author of “The Golf Swing: 6 Steps to Your Best Swing.” We recently had a chance to catch up with him on his favorite FlightScope products, proudest accomplishments, and more.
- FS: When did you first start using FlightScope products? What model was it?
SA: My first FlightScope product was the X2, 7 years ago.
- FS: What product(s) do you currently use and why?
SA: I use both the X2Elite and the X3. I love the X3 and use it most of the time but there is just something about my old X2 Elite that I really like.
- FS: What is it about FlightScope technology, products, and the company in general that has made you a loyal user?
SA: Success in the teaching business is about accuracy of data. I cannot diagnose and prescribe if the numbers I am using are not “spot on”. That is why I have been so committed to the FlightScope family from day one. Knowing that my numbers are dead accurate frees me up to use my intuition in my craft. This gives me an advantage over the competition and increases my students’ buy-in and confidence, and that is just huge!
- FS: What are your thoughts on the new FlightScope consumer model - FlightScope mevo - and how it might help grow and improve the game?
SA: The Mevo is another reason why FlightScope is the industry leader in Launch Monitors. To be able to create a consumer product that provides the club player with the vital numbers they need for improvement in a package that fits right in their pocket is unreal! And all for the cost of a driver?! That is incredible.
- FS: What is your favorite golf course?
SA: Cypress Point
- FS: What is your favorite club in your bag?
SA: My mind!
- FS: What other hobbies do you have outside of golf?
SA: I don’t understand the question... ;)
- FS: Who is your favorite golfer of all time?
SA: Ben Hogan
- FS: Are you a fan of any other sports? Who are your favorite teams?
SA: Any team from Detroit, my hometown
- FS: What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?
SA: Earning the PGA’s highest designation, Master Instructor.